So, my dream dog to have someday has been a Husky or a Malamute for a very, very long time. Well, last week we find out that the Dogsled Races are on Saturday in Ashton, Idaho so can you guess where I was Saturday? Come on, think hard! Okay I'll tell ya, China...just kiddin'...we took a little car ride up to Ashton and admired all the beautiful Huskys and Malamutes and other doggies that people brought. They have all these activities for the little ones and vendors and stuff all day and send off all the dogsled teams in the morning for the 50 and 100 mile race but we didn't care for that too much. What we really wanted to see was the pulling contest. Anyone can enter their dog into the contest but they categorize them by weight I think first then basically see how much weight each dog can pull on an old dogsled. They start with just the sled then pile on sand bags that weight 50-100 lbs until the dog can't pull anymore or basically gets distracted to the point that they're disqualified. One of the dogs that did the contest was I guess considered to be in the Heavy Weights division or something but really shouldn't have been. You'll see why in a minute. It was a little chilly while we were all gathered on Main Street, yes I said Main Street. And since it had kind of warmed up lately they had to bring in some snow to make the pulling lane in the middle of Main Street. That makes me giggle a bit.
This little Bulldog pulled 100 pounds plus the weight of the sled...it was so funny!
The one on the left was trying to pull 200 lbs but the bar attached to his harness fell down and was around his legs so he basically couldn't pull it anymore, the one on the right I think got 3rd so I think he pulled somewhere between 300 and 400 lbs. What's sad is last year Jordan said the big one on the left won by pulling 800 lbs! Kinda dumb he got disqualified because his harness was messed up.
watchin' dogs pull til they can't pull no more
Just take a wild guess as to how much this dog weighs and how old he is..............okay he is 3 years old and weighs 220 lbs! He's the dog from Sandlot! The owner said he wasn't going to enter him into the contest though and said he only eats 3-4 cups of food in the morning and evening. That's how much Kenai weighs and he only weighs about 85 lbs. Crazy huh?
Next year we're thinking about entering Kenai and Tomba into the pulling contest. I mean, if that little Bulldog can pull 100 lbs, Kenai and Tomba should at least be able to do that right? Right! Jordan got an old harness from Grandpa Knapp in Ashton to get started on training right away. Macie has even had Tomba pulling stuff already! 50 lbs so far, many more to go!
Next year we're thinking about entering Kenai and Tomba into the pulling contest. I mean, if that little Bulldog can pull 100 lbs, Kenai and Tomba should at least be able to do that right? Right! Jordan got an old harness from Grandpa Knapp in Ashton to get started on training right away. Macie has even had Tomba pulling stuff already! 50 lbs so far, many more to go!




Looks like a blast!
ReplyDelete