Let me just say, today has been a good day. Got up early (not my thing) and went visiting teaching to 3 wonderful ladies where I got to know them all along with my visiting teaching partner, cleaned a bit, got visit taught by an amazing girl who I really hope to become good friends with someday, and did some crafts. And hey, it's only 4:30 p.m. For the past couple weeks my mother-in-law and I have been talking about jobs, friends, and just a lot of different life things. I've really been wanting to get to know people out here and I guess find a niche. Something easier said than done. I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest person in Relief Society and I think Jordan and I are like one of two couples that don't have kids yet. Makes it a little hard to really connect with people when you're clearly not at the same level in life as nearly everyone else. Jordan and I can't predict the future but we're planning on living here for awhile (no rent or utilities = ideal) and we'd each really like to find at least that one friend everyone should have, no matter where your best friends that you've always had actually are. And despite all the ladies I went to visit, including my visiting teaching partner, talking about their kids and how crazy little boys can be, 4-H, and how one child's disposition was so much different from the other, I really really enjoyed every bit of it. Getting to know some of these ladies that I really thought I didn't have anything in common with and soon realizing that I do have one very important thing in common with all of them. We're all apart of the largest women's organization, Relief Society. That alone helps me to know that no matter what, I can always turn to someone in Relief Society and they'll be there for me. A couple weeks ago my mother-in-law told me that when she moved to Washington and didn't know anyone she decided to just throw herself into her visiting teaching and now every single one of her really close friends there either started that way by being her teaching partner or one of the ladies she taught. So, I'm choosing to do the same. I think today I got off to a great start!
I love this post! James & I feel the same way! We didn't really love our ward in Rexburg because pretty much everyone was newly wed, and it was also hard to relate to them because we HAD a baby. lol. (Funny, because I feel like I can still relate to you just as well.) Even in our ward now, I sometimes find it hard to relate to the women that are closest in age/stage of life that I'm at right now. Our hardest thing is probably just taking initiative and having people over-- doing things with those around us here, even though we might not know them as well. We know we should, but I guess it just hasn't been a priority. As far as VT, I LOVE my partner. She's an amazing woman, and so enjoyable to talk with. The ladies we visit- I believe 4/5 (yes. we visit 5 women. crazy!) are inactive or don't go to our ward. (Supposedly one woman visits her family in IF a lot, which I know she does, but I still don't know if I believe that church is a priority for her...) This is getting long... sorry. I'll be done soon. It's also hard because we DON'T know how long we'll be here. (I look forward to that "settling down" time when I know I'll live somewhere for more than 1-3 years.) ANYWAYS... You've inspired me. I hope I can be more outgoing and get to know more people in our ward! :) Sorry this was so long!
ReplyDelete