Monday, May 30, 2011

Personalized Spring Welcome Wreath

Lately, between work, doing Kendra's pictures and announcements, Kendra graduating, and trying to sleep in between everything, I haven't been able to do any crafts. Ugh...not ideal I tell ya! However, having Memorial Day weekend free and with Jordan being in Washington salmon fishing, I suddenly had a few spare moments to make something a little more suited for spring time. Or for the rainy/windy/chilly weather we've been having disguised as spring weather. And since it's almost June I decided my Easter Yarn Wreath has been up a little too long. I thought about all the spring wreaths I'd been seeing around. Traditional round with sprigs of silk flowers, leaves, maybe an occasional fake bird. Fake birds, silk flowers? Does that sound like me at all? Not! So the wheels started crankin' and I came up with this...............................................................


I found the square of scrap wood that was left in the garage. I think it's just particle board or something cheap. I sanded it all down, including the edges, making them more round, and painted it the pretty teal color you see above. After painting the board I went on a hunt in my backyard for some twigs to make the frame part. Now, for those that are not Hobby Lobby savvy, let me tell you just how amazing this store is and how good it is that there's not one within 2 hours of me. The nearest one being in Logan, Utah, 147 miles away. So, not only did my eyes triple in size and my heart start to race when I walked into the Hobby Lobby in Kennewick, Washington, but shopping online is fantastic! I subscribed to the weekly emails where there's a different deal every week. Anywhere from 30% off all floral to 40% off any one single item to my personal favorite....$3.00 shipping on all orders! Perfect! 


Which brings me to how I came to finalize all my creativity for this project. I had been wanting some burlap for awhile but between shipping and regular price of burlap I just couldn't bring myself to do it with me trying to spend as little as possible on crafts. However, with Hobby Lobby's coupons I got the burlap 25% off on top of $3.00 shipping where I also got the wooden letters, ribbon, and butterflies. Woot woot! I cut out the "Welcome to the" letters with my Cricut using the Plantin Schoolbook Cartridge with cheap printer paper, placed it on the burlap like a stencil and got out the black paint.


I already had the tag that I painted tangarine then cut out the "est. 2009" with my Cricut and Mod Podged it onto the tag. I also already had the sheet moss from a previous (not completed) project. I was going to drill some holes in the top for the ribbon but couldn't find Jordan's drill bits so I ended up pleating the ends of two pieces and gluing them like that, hot gluing the pieces onto the wood, then took some small screws to secure the ribbon better.

So let's break it down shall we? Even considering that I only used a fraction of the items I did purchase to finish...

wood square - free
twigs - free
sheet moss - already had
paint - already had
ribbon - $.89
letters - $.60
burlap - $.10 --ish
butterflies - $.99

Total = $2.58 - ish. Basically less than $3.00 for this project! Now how awesome is that? Well, that was my craft fix for the meantime. Now's it's back to the work week for me. Wish me luck! I have a feeling it's gonna be a long week of work with just me and my pups.

And FYI...I'm linking this wreath to Craft-O-Maniac. One of my favorite craft blogs : )




2 comments:

  1. You are so talented! You make so many cute things, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! So cute and inventive and cheap!!!

    ReplyDelete