I kind of got on this sewing/carseat cover kick so for my amazing friend Crissa, who is prego with their second little girl, I decided to make her a cover out of fabric I really wanted to somehow use for myself but couldn't find a good enough excuse to do so. Anyways, here's what I got......
I'm normally not a purple fan at all, but I absolutely loved this deep purple and the pattern! I paired it with the gray cotton fabric from the first cover I made too. Now, instead of spending $2.99/button like the last cover I made, I decided to try to make my own buttons or flowers or something and came out with this.....
Now, I'm going to attempt to explain how I made these so bear with me, I didn't think to take pictures along the way. For these ones I cut a strip of the gray fabric about 2 1/2 inches wide, ironed it in half long ways, then on one end sewed the short side together (basically sewing the strip together along the short side only), then turned it right ways out so the threads weren't showing from the end. Then I kind of hand-sewed it like you would fold an accordion. I went in on one side with my needle, fairly close to the raw-edge bottom of the strip, then went back in with my needle into the same side I just came out of. Still following me? Then basically just repeat the weaving process until it's as full as you want. Once I had mine like I wanted I cut the rest of the strip off and sewed the ends of the "flower" together, along with some random sewing to connect the center of the "flower." I thought doing a smaller flower out of the purple fabric for the center then a larger one out of the gray fabric would have been way cute to put in the corner of the cover but unfortunately I ran out of time.


LOL I agree! I need a sewing buddy to keep me motivated! At least we can do it through our blogs! :) BTW I loved your scripture cover!! So, so cute! Where did ya get the pattern or whatever from?
ReplyDelete