I think it would be an understatement to say that the flakes have been falling a lot the last couple days cause this morning Jordan and I woke up to this...
This is the view from our front door. I could barely see the other side of the road and the only reason I can is because of the weeds on the other side. I don't remember a time when we had a blizzard this bad. Everything is completely white! So far today we've had winds up to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph and supposedly there'll be up to 4 inches of snow. However, you really wouldn't guess cause it's been so darn windy it all gets blown away. But then I look at the snow drifts on our road that are between 4 and 6 feet high and I say to myself, "Oh, that's where all the snow is." Then I look in the backyard...
So needless to say, we stayed home all day, for the last 2 days. Jordan was able to get over to the other side of the lake to get some hay for the horses before everything hit super hard but other than that we've both been inside having a movie marathon. Jordan's been patching up the holes in the animal hides he just got back from the tannery...
I've been keeping Maggie inside a lot cause she's still pretty little to be outside in this kind of weather all day so she's been a lazy girl and been sleeping a lot...
And even though it's almost Thanksgiving I decided I should probably finish up a Halloween craft project so I can put all the Halloween decor away and get ready for Christmas (yes I still have all my Halloween stuff up around the house, what can I say I'm a busy girl that's usually only home to sleep). So I've been trying to fulfill my crave for crafts...
Awesome Coffins
what you'll need:
- an unfinished wooden coffin (I got mine on clearance at Porter's for $1.99 ea.)
- Design Master Walnut Wood Tone Glossy Stain
- a hot glue gun
- scissors
- a thin permanent marker
- super glue
- purple fluffy material (I don't know what it's called but it's the really soft material often used for baby blankets)
I had already spray painted mine with that stain but I recommend going slow and holding the can about 8 inches away from the object. First I started with placing the painted coffin on the backside of the material and drawing the shape of the coffin onto the material leaving an extra inch and a quarter all the way around the fold and glue inside the coffin itself then cut out your shape.
Then I covered the bottom of the coffin with some hot glue and placed the fabric inside and pushing down the fabric so that it held more securely to the hot glue.
After doing one of the coffins one way and the next a different way I decided the best thing to do at this point is to flatten the fabric along the longer sides until they are smooth, then go to each of the 4 corners and cut a slit down so that there is an edge that is flush with each of the corners. Then go to the top and bottom sides, flatten out the material on those two short sides, and cut slits down the 4 corners. Basically by cutting these slits in the corners of the coffin of the material it will get rid of that extra material in each of the corners.
Then fold the excess top part of the material down so that you can glue it to the top edges all around the coffin for a more finished look. This strategy helps eliminate a lot of the frayed edges from getting all over, especially on the tip of the super glue (I decided to use super glue cause the tip was a lot smaller than my glue gun, and less hot. If you use super glue try not to put a lot of pressure on the spots you're gluing down cause it'll matte up your fluffy fabric).
This project is actually pretty simple and I made 3 in no time at all. Here's the finished decor on top of my entertainment center...
I'm really happy with how it turned out. Here's a close up of one of the coffins...
Next I want to make little mummies for each of the coffins. I already got the material but since it's going on Thanksgiving perhaps I should plan on doing that for next year?



Looks fun Danyel! They turned out really cute. Your puppies are just to fun as well!! (I'm a little jealous of them :) )
ReplyDelete