While in Ohio a couple months ago Kelly's sister Sandy took me to Hobby Lobby (she may have regretted it once we'd been there an hour) and I had found an oversized fork, knife, and spoon. For some reason I love decorating with oversized things. However, as awesome as they were, they were not $19.99 each awesome! So sadly I walked away from them. But then Sandy showed me where the clearance aisles were. Lucky for me there was a knife and spoon that were marked down to, drum roll please......$4.00!!! So of course I snatched those right up. Now, I forgot to take a picture before I started painting them and you might be able to see the design that was on them a little through the paint but basically they were a sort of ivory color with that black design on the front. I actually liked them as is but the design didn't really go with my kitchen scheme at all so the painting began. That and the reason why they were clearanced to begin with is because they were scuffed up a bit.
I sanded them down a bit since they had a light clear coat on them and I think the design was basically a sticker so I knew if I didn't sand them a bit paint wouldn't stick to it. I think total it took at least 4 coats to completely cover the design. When it was dry I sanded the edges and as much of the detail as I could to give it more of a shabby chic look and I love it! Then I got a little more creative and decided to take some stain my father-in-law had in his garage and stain all those edges I sanded to shabby it up a little bit more and now I love it even more! A couple good coats of a clear top spray and they're all done...
![]() |
| okay so the lighting is terrible but you get the idea with how the details changed on them right? |
Once our house is livable again I plan on putting them up on either side of some of our kitchen cupboards above the sink. I'd say that's the perfect spot!
I decided that even though the issue with our house we're having completely and 100% stink, there's two good parts to the situation. 1. we're saving a decent amount of gas money since I'm only having to drive about 12 miles instead of 38 each way to work. 2. Since I'm not at my own house always needing to clean and just keep up with housework I'm able to get back to my crafty roots a bit. I've been a little craft deprived lately since life has just been a bit on the crazy busy side so boy did it feel good to make something. Oh and I have another little something up my sleeve for the kitchen that I've been wanting to do. But that one isn't quite done so, for another day...
Happy Crafting!


No comments:
Post a Comment