Thursday, November 12, 2009

Internships Galore!!!

Well this one day (Monday) I received two calls from numbers I didn't recognize so of course I didn't answer them. After being in and out of classes all day I finally decided to check my voicemail, outside, in the wind, in Rexburg, Idaho, (yes I know that was a great idea) and to my surprise there were two voicemails from two seperate ladies at Madison Memorial asking me if I was still interested in doing an internship at the hospital? I couldn't believe that after searching and trying since March I was finally offered two interviews for two different internships! My first thought was, "Bout time!" After finally getting to my car I could call them back and we set up a time for me to come in for an interview.

I went in yesterday (Wednesday) and had an interview with Linda, head of the volunteer Department, and LuAnn, head of the Infections Department at Madison Memorial Hospital. I sat down and I'll admit I was a bit nervous, especially when Lou Ann said they'd been having technical trouble with computers and for some reason I decided to say, "Oh I know the feeling, computers just seem to hate me." As soon as I said it I knew it was a bad move cause a huge part of the internship for the Infections Department had to do with computers and clerical work, on a computer! Why I said that I'll never know but I quickly made a comment again about it being the school's computers that hate me so I felt safer about that. Anyways, they started asking me questions about myself and my academic background and such and so far everything was going great. Then Lou Ann started asking me scenario questions so that got my heart pounding a bit more but I noticed that Lou Ann and I are a lot alike with our personalities and the kind of people we both are. It was a little crazy so I think she better understands me and how I could be as an intern. Then they asked me how my schedule would be next semester and if I was interested in doing something like that?...........ABSOLUTELY!!! They basically said that both internships are mine but since I obviously can't do both if I could think about it and pick one by Friday that would be great. Hallelujah I can finally do my internship and not worry about it anymore! I think I'm going to pick the Infections internship even though it sounds like it's going to be way way way more stressful than the Volunteer one but it sounds so much more interesting and I think it's going to give me a ton more experience in the health field and overall just be more worth it.

The basics of the Volunteer one would be recruiting volunteers out in the public and on campus, going to some meetings with Linda, and doing a lot of Human Resources stuff. The Infections one is inputting a huge chunk of data on patients, employees, etc. into the hospitals computer system, going to meetings with Lou Ann, creating agendas, and some other stuff. Lou Ann also said multitasking is going to be very useful with this internship also and I found out a huge part of why Lou Ann said she wants me to intern for her so bad is because I have taken the Communicable & Noncommunicable Disease class, Medical Terminology class, that I'm currently taking Microbiology this semester, and that I'm taking two non-nursing major classes next semester. That was kind of flattering but at the same time it makes me really nervous because it's not like I remember everything from my disease and medical terminology classes cause they were a lot of information and back in like April so I think I'm going to be spending part of Christmas break reviewing those classes. So I will be calling Lou Ann tomorrow about interning for her and probably start training for that internship within the next few weeks. I'm super nervous yet super excited! Wish me luck! I might need it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment